It is with deep sorrow that I share the passing of our sweet Lily. She crossed the Rainbow Bridge some time early on June 15, 2017.
We don’t know exactly what happened. Lily seemed fine several days earlier, on the morning that I left to drive across the country with my children. My husband was at home taking care of the cats while we were gone and he noticed that Lily wasn’t acting right when he came home from work. She was unable to walk properly. Then, she peed on the floor and he knew something was seriously wrong.
He immediately called our vet and took her in that night. It didn’t take long for our vet to diagnose her with severe kidney failure. We have no idea what caused this. The vet said that when it comes on as quickly as it did with Lily that it’s usually from antifreeze poisoning or from eating a Lily plant. Lily is strictly an indoor cat and there’s no way she would have had access to antifreeze and we don’t have Lily flowers.
We were faced with two options: put Lily to sleep immediately or give her medical treatment and hope for the best. The first 24 hours passed and there was no change in Lily. We again had to decide if we would put her to sleep or give her another 24 hours. We opted to wait, hoping against hope for a miracle. That miracle didn’t come and Lily passed away on her own.
We think, along with our vet, that it was just bad genes that took her. She had glaucoma as a six month old kitten, then stomatitis at one year.
My entire family is heartbroken. I love all my cats but Lily was special. It wasn’t just because of all that we went through with her stomatitis. She was incredibly sweet and loving. Any time I came home she would run up to me to greet me and her tail would rise up to show her happiness. She would jump on my lap, then stand on my chest so she could rub her face on my face. When she ran, which was often, she would hop like a bunny with her tail arched, something I always wanted to record but never managed to do.
There will never be another Lily. She was our shooting star. This website is her legacy and I hope that it continues to help other cats find relief from the horrible disease of stomatitis.